Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Fussy


No, not my baby girl, but rather this kimono outfit (see photo). It's not quite done, but close.

Please don't think I'm complaining. My sincerest gratitude to the designer, Tina Givens. Drafting a pattern is no easy task for sure, but ugh! I knew I was in trouble when the directions read: "Sew piece H to piece F", but there was absolutely no piece H!! What the heck?

I ended up making a number of changes to the original pattern and probably should have made more. I omitted the big collar because I imagined my babe trying to latch on to it the whole time. Eventually, I dumped the sewing instructions altogether and just did it my own way. And there's a reason why the front and back of pant legs are not identical. Where is my baby's butt going to go?? Not to mention the rise isn't high enough to make a waist band. Okay, enough griping.

Sewing this outfit has been a good learning experience. I made continuous bias strip for the first time and that was super cool. I also feel more confident making changes to patterns and I have a new appreciation for what goes into drafting a quality pattern. Regardless, the outfit is really cute, no?

1 comment:

Darla said...

Kawaii! (cute in Japanese) I imagine your daughter will be well clothed.